Responsible for overseeing the maintenance operation and requirements for retail stores, working closely with Store Operations and contractors to identify problems, develop solutions, review estimates, and coordinate work. Manage operational and fiscal activities of the maintenance and facilities department; initiatives, equipment upgrades, capital expenditure projects, staffing, work quality and facility compliance in accordance with OSHA, food safety, QC, GMP’s and regulatory procedures and requirements. Responsible for communication with Store Operations, primarily related to retail store issues for building, equipment and property care. Consistently provides world class customer service to internal and external customers. Performs other related work.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Seek opportunities to welcome, engage, serve and thank customers. Maintain and encourage an atmosphere of friendly, enthusiastic customer service with an emphasis of taking care of the customer. Provide exceptional customer service by telephone, email, and in person.
- Build and maintain a collaborative relationships internally through proactive involvement with current retail facilities. Support efforts to ensure successful coordination with Retail and Corporate Operations to ensure compliance and implementation of best practices and procedures.
- Establish and maintain a safe and healthy work environment. Provide a high level of awareness among team members by continuous communication, education, and enforcement of safe work practices for all facilities. Ensure work areas are hazard-free, clean and orderly at all times.
- Actively participate in Division focused feedback collaboration groups to provide feedback to current programs from a field and store operations perspective. Provides input for continuous improvement for processes and procedures to drive store care to a highly performing proactive/preventative asset management program.
- Provide oversight of communications for store operations pertaining to store maintenance and repairs of all retail facilities (owned/leased) including but not limited to stores, vacant buildings, idle properties, and other assets; providing communication with teams on status of repairs or maintenance related activity.
- Develop and maintain contractor and vendor relationships for corrective and planned services to maintain a cost competitive environment while adhering to service level expectations. Ensure compliance with corporate requirements new vendors following Standard Operating Procedures.
- Identify equipment categories to be maintained by internal and external parties and the respective schedules, accountability, and training for internal employees.
- Direct facilities maintenance operations personnel, overall maintenance, repairs, inspections and upgrades necessary to ensure safety, and reliability while maintaining optimal integrity to minimize downtime and productivity of building structures operation, equipment and facility support systems.
- Work with operations on 3rd party janitorial contractual matters and to define 3rd party and internal janitorial scope of work
- Maintain compliance to include reporting with all applicable entities as required by any and all Governmental agencies.
- Responsible for oversight of training program for store operations related to facility management.
- Responsible for budgets and oversight of financial activity to include cost benefit decisions related to repair versus replacement and identifying other cost saving opportunities.
- Recommends and provides justification of all capital expenditures for all retail locations. Upon approval of capital expenditure requests, coordinates all purchasing and contract negotiations, including preparation of bid requests, soliciting and evaluating bids from vendors for equipment, parts and facility upkeep services.
- Manages the process for receipt, prioritization and origination of work for all maintenance activity. Ensures work is completed in a timely and cost-effective manner. Ensures controls are in place for all purchases, internal work, and vendor invoices.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Technical trade school or Associate's degree in Facilities Management or related field OR equivalent combination of education, training and experience in addition to requirements below.
- At least four (4) years’ experience in a facility maintenance role, including at least two (2) years of experience of facilities maintenance leadership OR at least four (4) years of experience as the principal manager in a retail grocery store with responsibility for comprehensive facility maintenance.
- Demonstrating skills in leadership, organization and communication.
- Demonstrating strong analytical and problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail to effectively monitor progress and complete assignments within established schedules, timeliness, and/or deadlines.
- Prioritizing and executing tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Demonstrating knowledge of PC and internet-based software applications including Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Managing and monitoring the performance of direct reports and contracted services and provide communication of on-going maintenance activities and current projects.
- Demonstrating adaptability and flexibility when confronted with challenging situations or obstacles; comfortable with change and ambiguity; practicing constructive criticism and dealing well with difficult co-workers and supervisors.
- Demonstrating effective oral and written communication skills necessary to communicate with all levels of internal and external team members and customers.
- Consistently provide world class customer service to internal and external customers.
- Interpret and stay current with federal, state and local regulated programs, applicable codes and standards such as OSHA, EPA, NFPA, etc.
- Quickly identify problem areas or situations, evaluate problem causes and take appropriate action to resolve problems identified.
- Understand overall company retail practices, in-depth understanding of policies/procedures and the ability to judge/react to operation needs.
- Prioritize and perform a variety of simultaneous tasks (multi-tasking).
- Work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment and develop a strong rapport with others.
- Confidently and effectively handle confrontations with difficult individuals.
- Establish and maintain good rapport with co-workers, supervisors, vendors, customers and others.
- Work independently with minimal supervision. Be dependable, self-directed, and demonstrate initiative.
- Continuously learn and improve skills; resilient, receptive and responsive to performance feedback.
- Consistently work in all climates and conditions that exist in a Retail Grocery environment.
- Stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Bend, stoop, twist and turn frequently.
- Work varied shifts as required.
- Travel up to 50% of the time or as business dictates.
- Perform all tasks efficiently and accurately with confidentiality, honesty and integrity.
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed.
- Computer, keyboard, mouse, office equipment (telephone, fax, etc.) and other devices.
- Acceptable Department of Motor Vehicles driving record.
Preferred Education, Experience and/or Credentials:
- Experience in a maintenance management position with responsibility for multiple facilities including refrigeration and fire systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Facilities Management, technical trade or related field.
- Training certifications pertinent to facility and property maintenance.
- Secondary technical training and/or certification(s).
- Experience developing and maintaining a Profit and Loss statement for a Facility Maintenance Department, including Capital Expense planning, budgeting, and forecast process.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by the employees assigned to this job. All employees must comply with Company policies and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties, and qualifications required of personnel may vary.