Responsible for the daily management of assigned vendors and categories. Procures, controls and manages the inventory for assigned lines. Maintains an acceptable product service level to meet promotional, seasonal and daily needs. Responsible for new item selection, implementation and category profitability. Investigates cost reductions and negotiates cost savings with vendors. Perform related work.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Procures assigned product lineswhich mayinclude perishable products.
- Maintains proper inventory levels to ensure high service levels and minimal out-of-stocks.
- Maximizes forward buy opportunities and overall gross profits on assigned line items.
- Cultivates effective relationships with vendors and brokers and leads vendor negotiations.
- Establishes strategic relations with key suppliers that lead to new consumer and industry insights.
- Collaborates with vendors and brokers on new items to maximize sales/profits for the department.
- Negotiates with suppliers to achieve the most competitive pricing in order to secure an aggressive difference in pricing versus the market competition via special buys, backhaul agreements and vendor programs.
- Investigates alternative distribution and cost options to achieve further savings.
- Monitors integrity of assigned item pricing as well as promotional pricing.
- Tracks and measures sales and profitability of assigned lines and performs analysis to determine impact on overall category profitability.
- Initiates, manages and ensures timely completion of category reviews.
- Uses various communication skills to keep key internal teams informed of promotions, cost advantages, product availability, market trends and vendor and item changes.
- Coordinates with Division Vice Presidents, Department Vice Presidents, and Directors, retail pricing, advertising and space management on promotional buys and assigned items and categories.
- Communicates effectively with stores, merchandising, procurement, and retail operations functioning as a liaison between Retail Operations and the Buying Department.
- Continually assesses market competition by comparing WinCo’s product strategy with the industry including competitive store product mix checks on a regular basis.
- Attends key trade shows.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, finance, economics or related field OR equivalent education, training and/or experience demonstrating considerable knowledge of negotiation, procurement and promotional practices in retail groceryin addition to experience listed below.
- Minimum four (4) years’ experience in grocery retail buying or related field.
- Working with a rapidly growing and profitable organization.
- Exhibiting strong ability to analyze data, make judgments and develop reports.
- Representing subject matter expertise in the area of procurement.
- Demonstrating strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) software.
- Demonstrating a track record of cost reductions and business results through effective negotiation strategies.
- Be extremely self-motivated, take initiative and drive results.
- Multi-task and work in a fast-paced, multiple-priority environment.
- Be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Negotiate contracts and terms in order to gain maximum advantage for costs and vendor funding opportunities.
- Develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with fellow employees and outside contacts, user groups and vendors.
- Write and speak clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings.
- Respectfully challenge standard practices to find a better way to get things done.
- Travel as needed.
- Be available to respond to calls on urgent matters involving including after business hours, on weekends and holidays if necessary.
Preferred Education, Experience and/or Credentials:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, finance, economics or related field AND experience in grocery retail buying demonstrating considerable knowledge of negotiation, procurement and promotional practices.
- Experience applying understanding of food handling processes, nutritional facts, ingredient declarations and Country of Origin labeling.
- Knowledge of the retail grocery industry and corresponding products.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by the employees assigned to this job. All employees must comply with Company policies and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of personnel may vary.