This position is responsible for directing and controlling the operation of the Produce Department by understanding related work areas, supervises department personnel, plans and orders merchandise while ensuring customer service and product quality, freshness and selection.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises employees by motivating, training, participating in the hiring of personnel, monitoring employee performance, recommending personnel action (i.e., hiring, firing, layoff and disciplinary action, scheduling personnel according to coverage needs and service level), maintaining a safe and secure work environment, etc.
- Satisfies departmental projected sales and gross margin objectives by providing customers with fresh quality goods; creating effective promotional and seasonal displays; maintaining/organizing cooler; ensuring proper temperature levels for product are maintained; preventing shrink; damage and spoilage of product; trimming, cutting, wrapping, traying, displaying and watering produce; building produce displays; rotating stock; discarding outdated or spoiled product; ensuring proper pricing and signing of products; using related equipment such as those listed below.
- Maintains an atmosphere of enthusiastic customer awareness with an emphasis on providing fast, friendly customer service.
- Engages in suggestive selling and other sales techniques.
- Performs receiving duties including: verifying orders against invoices; reporting shortages and claims to ensure proper billing; breaking down loads and dating product; cutting cases; stacking, pricing and marking merchandise; maintaining produce storage area; etc.
- Maintains cleanliness and eye-appeal of work area, storage area, and selling floor.
- Performs other duties as assigned or needed.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- As a produce clerk, Lead Clerk, MIT or equivalent to understand the Produce department procedures.
- Providing leadership through skills in communication, interpersonal, management of people, customer relations, and employee relations, analysis, planning orders, judgment, reaction to business activity, etc.
- Communicating (hearing & speech) with customers during the day shift.
- Conducting visual inspection of product, display, ready written material, etc.
- Communicating in writing to others.
- Performing safe/quick movements and operate related equipment listed below with manual dexterity and hand/eye coordination.
- Performing basic math (add, subtract, divide and multiple) and compute weights and measures.
- Perform supervisory skills (e.g., interviewing, scheduling, hiring, counseling, training, disciplining, etc.).
- Understand overall company practices through previous experience in produce department or equivalent.
- Reach, lift and maneuver objects of varying dimensions and weights up to 50 lbs. frequently.
- Push and pull fully loaded hand trucks and pallet jacks.
- Stand for long periods of time, walk and move rapidly, bend, twist and turn frequently.
- Work with hands exposed to moisture, fruits and vegetables.
- Learn taste, proper handling, preparation, seasonality, and perishability, product safety, sanitation procedures and dept. policies.
- Perform primary duties efficiently and accurately.
- Food Handlers Certification (Per State Laws)
Machines and Equipment Operated:
- Knives, wrappers, scales, compactors, garbage disposals, hand trucks, pallet jacks, fork lift; etc
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by the employees assigned to this job. All employees must comply with Company policies and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of personnel may vary.