This position has been posted for multiple locations. If selected, you need to be prepared to work at any of the locations listed.
Learn all duties required of a Bulk Foods Department Manager. Assists Bulk Foods Department Manager in directing and controlling the operation of the Bulk Foods Department by understanding related work areas including: supervising bulk foods department personnel; planning and ordering merchandise; ensuring customer service and product quality, freshness and selection; assisting in coordination and management of department operations so as to control costs, meet targeted labor, maintain projected profit margins, and meet or exceed sales goals. Perform department clerk duties as needed.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists Bulk Foods Department Manager in meeting departmental projected sales and gross margin objectives. Creates effective promotional and seasonal displays; prepares, proofs, stages and packages products; prevents shrink; oversees cost/quality control; orders necessary products and ingredients; prepares department sales/production guides; prepares, charts and records sales dollars/percentages; computes gross profit; processes and maintains accurate department records; and controls expenses.
- Maintains and encourages an atmosphere of fast, friendly, courteous customer service, etc.
- Ensures adequate product quantity, quality and freshness. Orders, checks, receives and controls inventory; builds, maintains and organizes product display and storage areas; stocks and rotates products; inspects displays daily for substandard and outdated product and discards outdated or spoiled products; ensures proper temperatures are maintained in all phases of product handling and preparation; follows retail labeling laws and company code dating policy; follows company policy on processing re-work or reduced-to-clear items, damage and spoilage of product; trims, cuts, wraps, trays, displays and waters products as needed; ensures proper pricing and signing; conducts inventories of all department items; and prepares food items as needed.
- Learns and assists Bulk Foods Department Manager in supervising, motivating, coaching, training and hiring of Department personnel.
- Learns and assists Bulk Foods Department Manager in monitoring employee performance, and recommending personnel action (hiring, firing, layoff and disciplinary action).
- Learns and assists Bulk Foods Department Manager in scheduling personnel according to coverage needs and service level.
- Performs customer relation duties and engages in suggestive selling and other sales techniques.
- Ensures proper merchandising of product by understanding schematics, merchandising of advertised and special items, proper signing procedures, analyzing cutting tests and meeting customer demand.
- Maintains cleanliness and eye-appeal of work area, storage area, equipment and retail displays according to company policy and legal regulations; and cleans work area by mopping, sweeping, taking out garbage, etc.
- Maintains a safe/secure work environment and ensures compliance with security policies.
- Performs receiving duties. Verifies orders against invoices; reports shortages and claims to ensure proper billing; breaks down loads and dates product; and cuts cases; stacks, prices and marks merchandise; etc.
- Breaks down freight by moving product, placing it in inventory, operating fork lift, etc.
- Performs all job duties and responsibilities with honesty and integrity.
- Performs other duties as assigned or needed.
- Completes the Manager in Training classroom and on the job training program.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Effective communication with co-workers and customers and following written instructions.
- Demonstrating an understanding of overall company practices through previous experience in the bulk foods department or equivalent.
- Providing leadership through skills in communication, management of people, customer relations, employee relations, analysis, planning orders, judgment, reaction to business activity, etc.
- Performing basic math (adds, subtract, divide and multiply) and computing weights and measures.
- Operating computers and windows software in a work setting.
- Perform all duties and responsibilities of bulk foods department clerk at a fully competent and independent level.
- Perform supervisory skills (e.g., interviewing, scheduling, hiring, counseling, training, disciplining, etc.)
- Effectively utilize excellent verbal, written, electronic and interpersonal communication skills.
- Perform safe/quick movements and operate related equipment with manual dexterity and hand/eye coordination.
- Perform duties with mental alertness involving potential hazards with respect to related procedures, equipment (e.g., knives, cookers), and work aides.
- Work around machinery emitting heat and cold conditions.
- Have knowledge of all areas of department production.
- Learn product variability, perishability, safety and sanitation procedures and department policies.
- Learn taste, content and perishability of products; Conduct visual inspections and read reports, manuals, etc.
- Calculate inventory.
- Stand for long periods of time, walk and move rapidly, bend, stoop, twist and turn frequently.
- Perform repetitious arm and hand movements frequently.
- Reach, lift, stack and maneuver objects of varying dimensions and weights up to 50 lbs. within the range of floor level to overhead frequently.
- Push and pull fully loaded hand trucks and pallet jacks containing product of substantial weight.
- Proper use cleaning chemicals in accordance with manufacture’s guidelines and instructions.
- Proper handling of related food products per State and County laws, and WinCo standards.
- Perform primary duties efficiently and accurately.
- Food Handlers Certification – current per State and County Laws and WinCo standards.
Machines and Equipment Operated:
- Computer terminal and office machines.
- Order/scan gun
- All department specific equipment which could include any of the following: kitchen utensils, knives and appliances, automatic slicers, grinders, stuffers, tumblers, smokehouse, vacuum sealers, overwrappers, scales, band saws, meat tenderizers, meat slicers, bone dusters, bulkers, bailers, cubers, mixers, dough machines, shrink wrappers, cash registers, trash compactors, garbage disposals, cardboard bailers, pallet jacks, hand trucks, and/or fork lifts.
Preferred Education, Experience and/or Credentials:
- Experience in a role with formal supervision responsibilities managing performance and/or completion of supervisory training, coursework or education.
- Experience in a role with product management responsibilities including all aspects of inventory, display and maintenance of products within the department.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by the employees assigned to this job. All employees must comply with Company policies and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of personnel may vary.