This position is responsible for providing direction, guidance and support for human resource related activity including: hiring, safety, coaching, compliance, discipline, training, and other duties at the designated Distribution Center (DC) location(s). Establishes and maintain effective and cooperative relations with employees, employee representatives, supervisors, and managers. Under the direction of the Director of Labor Relations serves as liaison between the DC and the Corporate Office related to Human Resources, Compliance, Benefits, Payroll and Risk Management departments. Consistently provides world class customer service to internal and external customers. Performs other related work.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
Maintain an atmosphere of friendly, enthusiastic customer service with an emphasis on taking care of the customer. Provide exceptional customer service with users by telephone, email, and in person.
Develop site-specific hiring and retention strategy for warehouse and transportation. Implement and direct WinCo hiring practices utilizing the online application system. Ensure hiring activities support operational needs and comply with company policies and state/federal regulations.
- Oversee new employee onboarding, orientation and training.
- Provides guidance to management related to discipline, documentation of performance issues, compliance with applicable CBAs, company policies and procedure, and state/federal regulations.
- Maintain and cultivate open door policy to engage employees and field employee inquiries, employee concerns, ideas, etc. Maintain a regular presence in both the warehouse and transportation areas.
- Facilitate communication between employees, supervisors and managers.
- Provide support, guidance and assistance to supervisors and managers in interpreting, applying, and ensuring compliance with company policies, collective bargaining agreements (CBA’s), local, state, and federal employment laws.
- Facilitate and/or work with appropriate individuals as necessary in the settlement of dispute process including grievances, mediation, arbitration, etc.
- Establish and maintain effective relations with employees, employee representatives, management, other departments and government agencies.
- Consult and coordinate with the appropriate human resource or applicable personnel for guidance, assistance or transferal of HR situations.
- Conduct onsite investigations of alleged violations of company policy and/or CBA’s; research, interviews, analyzing findings and recommend appropriate action.
- Facilitate “Light Duty/Return to Work” program at your location. Oversee processing of workers compensation claims and WinCo Food’s return to work light duty program. Ensure all necessary documentation and follow up is complete.
- Support and coordinate with Risk Management on investigation and resolution of employee accident claims. Communicate and interact with injured employees to minimize time loss and ensure timely return to regular duty.
- Work closely with third-party administrators of WinCo Foods’ workers compensation and general liability insurance to manage claims and control costs.
- Coordinate with Distribution Center (DC) Management, Safety Committee, Risk Management and peers at other DC’s, to grow, develop and implement Safety Program best practices.
- Facilitate DC Safety Committee activities including regular meetings, recognition programs, incentive programs, safety suggestions, and safety tours.
- Support Risk Management in investigating and responding to state and federal compliance related matters, including complaints, inspections and violations. (OSHA, DOL, etc.)
- Facilitate training requirements and programs, to include lift truck certification, on-the-job training programs, annual driver requirements, and all other safety and compliance certification training. Maintain all related documentation.
- Oversee random chemical screen processes in coordination with the WinCo Food Drug and Alcohol Policy, DOT standards and relevant labor agreements.
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality and integrity.
- Performs other duties as assigned or needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Industrial Relations, Business, Public Administration (or related field) OR equivalent education, training and/or experience demonstrating considerable knowledge of human resource practices in addition to experience listed below.
- At least two (2) years in a human resource position with progressive responsibility in areas such as workers compensation, safety, employment law, etc., to workplace situations.
- Demonstrating knowledge of collective bargaining agreements.
- Applying working knowledge of conflict resolution including grievance process, mediation, and arbitration.
- Conducting internal investigations; research, interviews, analyzing findings and recommendations.
- Demonstrating working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) software.
Consistently provide world class customer service to internal and external customers.
Developing and maintaining effective relationships with team members, managers, employees and employee representatives.
- Communicate clearly and professionally, utilizing excellent verbal, written and inter-personal communication skills.
- Work pro-actively, independently, and be dependable, self-directed, and attentive to detail.
- Quickly identify problem areas or situations, evaluate problem causes and take appropriate action to resolve problems identified.
- Accept direction from multiple sources and effectively manage time to ensure deadlines are met.
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Confidently and effectively handle confrontations with difficult, sometimes upset individuals.
- Perform all tasks with integrity and dependability.
- Frequent sitting with intermittent walking and standing.
- Work weekends and evenings when needed. Travel on occasion.
Machines and Equipment Operated:
- Office machines (computer terminal, copier/scanner, 10-key, fax machine, telephone, etc.)
Preferred Education, Experience and/or Credentials:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources and four (4) or more years’ experience with responsibility for personnel actions, staffing and recruiting strategies, workplace safety, risk management, and training.
- Four (4) years Human Resource/Labor Relations experience in a warehouse, transportation and retail environment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by the employees assigned to this job. All employees must comply with Company policies and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of personnel may vary.