Responsible for the development and management of the WinCo deli product development and merchandising program, including the day to day direction, management and supervision of deli made in house product lines through leadership, motivation and continuing development of deli supervisors. Leads, controls, and drives improvements of WinCo deli product development and practices to drive deli recipe practices and innovation. Consistently provides world class customer service to internal and external customers. Performs other related work.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Seek opportunities to welcome, engage, serve and thank customers. Maintain and encourage an atmosphere of friendly, enthusiastic customer service with an emphasis of taking care of the customer.
- Develop strategies and best practices leading the creation of WinCo’s deli product development; recipes, nutritionals, ingredients, and merchandising of new product lines, and cost savings on current product and packaging.
- Direct with the development of WinCo’s deli merchandising programs, including development of product strategies, merchandising layout and promotional activities.
- Direct and assists others in the planning and execution of complicated deli product procedures or merchandising. Ensure merchandising plans and procedures are accurately followed.
- Select, develop and motivate deli supervisor team with deep relevant category knowledge and product expertise. Apply continuous improvement processes to enhance work flow, improve job skills, and individual knowledge of deli recipes to achieve company objectives.
- Lead and supervise the deli supervisor team. Ensure the deli supervisor team is properly staffed and trained. Monitor employee performance.
- Assist with monitoring deli recipe procedures follow through in the field.
- Build, develop and lead teams in identifying opportunities to meet expectations and business goals.
- Sponsor a culture of dynamic thinking and performance to drive growth and profitability.
- Anticipate changes, identify alternatives and implement strategies for driving sales.
- Implement strategic field sales tactics by establishing and maintaining “win-win" business relationships with store personnel including deli clerks, Department Managers, Store Managers and Deli Supervisors.
- Identify creative solutions to utilize shelf space, resetting displays (potentially adjusting shelves), rolling out new products, implementing secondary displays, and conducting market research projects.
- Conduct regular staff meetings to coordinate activities within the deli supervisor team.
- Establish and complete weekly, monthly, and quarterly goals and accomplish set performance metrics.
- Analyze and apply the use of sales data, scan data, and Nielsen data to create strategies and goals for business advancement.
- Develop cost reduction plans and initiatives to enhance profitability.
- Support deli buying team by providing recommendations aligned with customer demand and insights, new item opportunities and industry trends.
- Support the Vice President of Deli Operations and Deli Supervisors in development, preparation and execution of the overall department and category plans.
- Manage and direct effective control of product shrink; develop practices to improve shrink Reduction with regard to recipes and product development.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers to ensure organizational needs are met.
- Utilize tools and technology necessary to manage product development functions for current and future business needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, or closely related field OR equivalent education, training and/or experience demonstrating considerable knowledge of deli operations and product development in addition to the requirements below.
- Minimum five (5) years of relevant merchandising experience as a Deli Department Manager, Deli Supervisor, or industry equivalent with direct responsibility for retail deli merchandising and product development.
- Demonstrating expert knowledge of the retail deli industry and corresponding products.
- Representing subject matter expertise in the area of merchandising.
- Demonstrating a high degree of self-motivation and drive with the capacity to flourish in a competitive environment
- Representing proven and demonstrable ability to meet timelines and manage changing priorities.
- Exhibiting strong ability to analyze data, make judgments and develop reports.
- Demonstrating strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) software.
- Consistently provide world class customer service to internal and external customers.
- Take initiative, drive results, motivate and inspire others to reach their goals and objectives.
- Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills and be an effective oral and written communicator. Write and speak clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings.
- Exercise a high degree of independent judgment and analysis.
- Establish and maintain good rapport with company VP’s, supervisors, vendors and other co-workers.
- Demonstrate an advanced ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with fellow employees and outside contacts, user groups and vendors.
- Effectively understand and operate AS400/NCR Systems.
- Multi-task and work in a fast-paced, multiple-priority environment.
- Be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Respectfully challenge standard practices to find a better way to get things done.
- Travel frequently, approximately 50 % of the time.
- Be available to respond to calls on urgent matters including after business hours, on weekends and holidays.
- Acceptable Department of Motor Vehicles driving record
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by the employees assigned to this job. All employees must comply with company policies and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties, and qualifications required of personnel may vary.